Evaluation of the ALERT Lab - a portable water quality testing system - by the WHO and Unicef
WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) report "Laboratory evaluation of portable water quality testing kits" (2022)
WHO-UNICEF JOINT MONITORING PROGRAM REPORT: LABORATORY EVALUATION OF PORTABLE WATER QUALITY TESTING KITS (2022)
The WHO-Unicef JMP report "Laboratory evaluation of portable water quality testing kits" demonstrates the metrological performance of the ALERT technology for the detection and quantification of E.coli in water and the target specificity of the measurements.
- The Fluidion® ALERT technology was tested on a four test waters and five natural water matrices and compared in triplicate against the IDEXX Quantitray 2000 reference method on 60 paired samples. In 87% of these, the semi-quantitative risk class matched the expected value.
- The Fluidion® ALERT technology was also evaluated for false positives and false negatives using stocks of six non-target bacteria with and without E.coli. No false positives were found due to non-target bacteria, and the analyzer was able to detect E.coli among each of the non-target bacteria.
- When used as a presence/absence test, the Fluidion ALERT LAB correctly classified 93% of samples using a 1 CFU/100 mL cut-off, 95% of samples using a 10 CFU/100 mL cut-off, and 98% of samples using a 100 CFU/100 mL cut-off.
- Fluidion ALERT Lab tends to overestimate rather than underestimate the risk, which can be attributed to its ability to fully quantify bacterial aggregates on particles (which traditional methods cannot do).
- The ALERT Lab was found to be user friendly, demonstrating ease of execution and use, ease of interpretation of results, and low risk of contamination between samples and users.
Several Fluidion products are well-adapted for Recreational Water applications, by providing rapid microbiological risk information from instruments with extraordinary ease-of-use, that are fully-automated and perform automatic remote data transmission and archival. Below is a selection of recommended products: